Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I fix the loose headlight wiring problem in my 2000 Jetta?

I just bought a jetta not to long ago so far the radio won't work (least of my problems right now) and one headlight won't stay on. If I fiddle around with it comes on but it will randomly go out. It's definatly bad wiring but can I just buy a new *(thing that connects to the bulb) or what?How do I fix the loose headlight wiring problem in my 2000 Jetta?The 3 pin headlamp connectors are available from good auto shops. There are 2 types, one where you cut off the old one and connect the terminals which then push into the new holder (this one really needs soldering to get a permanent connection). The second is where the new one comes with about 6 inches of cable you cut off the old one and join the wires. Make sure, whichever one you chose, you do them one wire at a time so as you do not connect it up wrong. You will probably need to replace the headlamp bulb at the same time as when they get a bad connection they heat up and cook damaging both the connector and the buld. For the price of a bulb it is not worth chancing it..How do I fix the loose headlight wiring problem in my 2000 Jetta?You can get a new connector plug from VW (it will probably shock you when you hear the price) or you can pick up one at an auto recyvler for a fraction of the cost.