Friday, September 23, 2011

How to remove a stripped seated Hex pin holding my headlight fixture?

I have a 99 Tahoe with the composite headlights. I went to change the burnt bulb, but ran into trouble. One of the hex pins holding the fixture is stripped, but still seated. I tried cranking on it with Vise Grips and a pry-bar, only scratched my arms and my fender. Any ideas?How to remove a stripped seated Hex pin holding my headlight fixture?You should not have to remove the headlamp assembly to change the bulb. The bulb is accessible from behind the headlamp. The bulb socket twist out from behind the lamp housing with 1/4 turn. The bulb is then removed from the socket. DO NOT TOUCH NEW BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS.( THE OILS WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE BULB.) Wear gloves

The hex pins generally are for aiming the headlamp. that is why they spin.How to remove a stripped seated Hex pin holding my headlight fixture?The extractor may not work if the hex hole is stripped. You can carefilly grind a slot in the head with a moto tool, then fit a flat screwdriver into the slot.



Or, remove the entire headlight assembly and you can get at the screw from the back (maybe.)



The only other option is to drill it out, not fun.How to remove a stripped seated Hex pin holding my headlight fixture?Go to a hardware store and buy a screw extractor set. It's pretty simple to do and it's handy to have around. It should cost you about $10-15.00