Friday, September 23, 2011

How can I clean the inside of my headlight?

I have a 1997 mecury sable and need to get inside of my headlights to clean it. how can i do this?How can I clean the inside of my headlight?you can't. headlights are sealed. since you mentioned age and make, I am guessing your headlights have %26quot;hazed%26quot; over. become a chalky like look.



there are a couple fixes for this.



1. Novus makes a product that works pretty well in cleaning them up. They are a glass/plastic company and you can find their product in auto body supply stores.



2. put a high speed buffer on them with compound and then wax and actually buff them back up.



3. wet sand the lens in levels from 800-1500 grit sand paper and then high speed buff them back up to shine after wards.



4. wet sand as above, but instead of buffing them, actually clear coat them. can be done with a spray can but better be good otherwise a paint spray gun is recommended.



5. buy new headlights





these are your choices, in order from cheapest/worse results to most expensive/best results.How can I clean the inside of my headlight?I have the same problem and have been thinking to remove them pour some glass cleaner in it and use cotton balls and a wood dowel to move the cotton around and rinse with clean cleaner and dry with cotton balls.How can I clean the inside of my headlight?Most of the time, you will not be able to do it. I have in the past taken the light module out, removed the bulbs etc and soaked them in vinegar. The gunk will be removed with vigorous shaking, but if you have %26quot;yellowed%26quot; out plastic on the inside of the module, there is very little you can do. If you have scratches and yellowing on the outside, you can buy acrylic polishing buffs. But you may find better lights at your local junk yard.



Hope this helps